So the other day, I was not really in the mood to cook dinner. I was hungry, but also kind of “blah.” I got into the kitchen and started looking around in the cabinets listlessly. I saw the quinoa and thought, “well, I can cook this now and eat it for lunch later.” Then I remembered I had some kale I needed to use up.
And of course, CHEESE.
By the time I grabbed the white cheddar, I had transformed into full Food Prep Mode. I was chopping shallots and mushrooms and heating up olive oil. I grated the cheddar and grabbed some vegetable stock. It was go time.
The recipe below is an easy one and can be adapted to whatever you have on hand. It involves a grain (quinoa), a green (kale), and an easy cheese sauce. Keep in mind that I still have the vegetarian-keto mindset when I’m cooking, so I tend to favor lots of veggies and don’t give a rip about fat content haha. I’m not doing keto exclusively anymore (hence the cheese sauce and quinoa combined), but I’m also trying to remain happy in what I cook.
Cheesy Quinoa and Kale
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp House Seasoning (1/4 tsp salt; 1/8 tsp garlic powder; 1/8 tsp black pepper)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced portobello (or other) mushroom
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded kale, stems/ribs removed
- Bring stock to boil, add quinoa and House Seasoning. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer about 15-20 mins.
- In small sauce pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook about 3 mins.
- Add shallot and garlic, cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Lower heat to medium. Add flour and stir to combine. Cook about 3 mins.
- Add milk and whisk to combine. Continue whisking until sauce thickens, about 5 mins.
- Add cheese and stir to combine.
- Divide quinoa into 4 bowls. Top each with shredded kale. Pour cheese sauce over the top of the kale. Stir to combine.
- Enjoy and relish in your ability to make something delicious quickly!