I’m doing keto again (forever?) and have spent part of my day making stuff to stock the fridge. Keto can sometimes mean home-cooked meals for most of what I eat (if I’m trying to avoid fast food & eat something more exciting than salad). I love to cook and try new recipes, but sometimes I just don’t feel like spending my evening in the kitchen.
To help my week go smoothly, I made several things today including the yummy pimento cauliflower & cheese pictured above. I steamed florets from a whole cauliflower, so I now have lunch for tomorrow! I also made enough pimento cheese sauce for two or three servings. Ka-Ching!
This dish is really good. I’m not just saying that because I love anything pimento cheese, either. I will forewarn you that if you don’t like cauliflower, you may not like this dish. The cheese sauce does a LOT for it, but it’s still cauliflower. You can also leave out the spinach, but I try to put it anywhere I can because it’s so good for you!
This recipe does not have any added grain, flour, starch, or carbs (aside from what is naturally occurring in the ingredients). I don’t have a net carb count, but it’s probably in the 4-5 net carbs range. I’m just guessing. Also, if you’re counting calories and are freaking at the ingredients list…remember, keto is a high-fat diet! It is not intended for keto-ers to really worry about number of calories because fat-for-fuel is much more satiating than carbs and so people on keto eat a lot less in total food volume.
ANYHOO, ONTO THE RECIPE!
Pimento Cauliflower & Cheese with Spinach
- 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup cream cheese (full fat! Low fat dairy has added sugar in it!)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (I made this keto recipe & it’s good)
- 2/3 – 3/4 cup heavy cream (depending on how thick you like the sauce)
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp pimentos, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach (optional; I don’t recommend using frozen)
- Steam cauliflower. Set aside.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Add onions and cook over low-medium heat until translucent.
- Add cream cheese and mustard. Sprinkle garlic powder. Stir to combine and get cream cheese melted.
- Add heavy cream, stirring to combine.
- Add cheese and stir to combine.
- Stir in pimentos then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When cheese sauce is done, layer cauliflower, then (optional) spinach, then cheese sauce. Allow sauce to heat up spinach, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir cheese sauce into spinach & cauliflower, then serve.